Thursday, April 21, 2005

Death From Above

MP3: Death From Above - If We Don't Make It, We'll Fake It

The kids are really starting to get into this Toronto duo, with a recent appearance on Conan O'Brien highlighting a quick American jaunt. The band's latest stay at the Underground in Hamilton proved to me yet again why DFA deserves every bit of adoring teeny love.

Their kind of quick hitting rock works best like tequilla shots: quick and absolute. DFA kept the preliminaries and band chatter to a minimum, preferring the low moan of a distorted bass to any "thank you, you're beautiful" gestures typical of bands whose rise seems inevitable.

death-from-above3
Jesse F. Keeler rocks sideways

death-from-above2
Sebastien Grainger


Which brings me to this: how to shoot a show. Those two pics above, they are "normal" shots, with a flash and its resultant artificialities. I, however, hate flash photography with a passion, and am always seeking natural light. This brings a new problem though, summarized by my idiodic forgetfulness in relation to my tripod.

death-from-above4
Sebastien Grainger

See how the blurriness takes over from what was otherwise a cool composition. Also, the crowd is hidden by their lack of stage lighting (part of the whole lack of being in the band phenomenon) and so we get to avoid their hideous, monkey-like faces; just look at those three kids in the second photo above. Hideous.

death-from-above1
Jesse F. Keeler on synths

Again, what a nice shot ruined by my stupid incompetence. Bad me. See, no matter how much you prop yourself up on walls, amps, or PAs, the natural light photo in relative darkness requires a tripod. I let the team down, and I feel that turning on my flash to expose those fucking ugly kids is my wholly and karmically justified penance.

Good show. Bad baby.

No comments: